This will be achieved by imposing various residual waste targets on each cluster of municipalities. The implementation plan also imposes new targets for waste prevention, reuse, litter, illegal dumping, and industrial waste in Flanders.
The main quantitative targets in this document are the following (for achievement by 2022):
- Tailormade targets for reduction of residual waste, for each municipality in Flanders.
- The total quantity of waste produced per capita per year should be below 502 kg.
- Reuse target of 7 kg per capita.
- Weight of litter produced to be reduced by 20% in comparison to 2013. This means that in 2022, a maximum of 14,000 tonnes of litter will be generated (in comparison to 17,500 tonnes in 2013).
- Industrial/commercial/business/company residual waste to be decreased by 15% in comparison to 2013, adjusted for employment rates.
The plan also defines action to be taken in relation to six, specific waste streams:
- Hard plastics
- Paper and cardboard packaging
- Furniture and mattresses