OVAM - The Public Waste Agency of Flanders
- is a government agency falling under the Flanders Minister of the Environment
. Since 1981
, OVAM has developed Flanders’ policies on waste management, sustainable materials management and the remediation and prevention of soil pollution.
OVAM contributes to policymaking under four, well-defined, strategic objectives
- Contributing to the transition to a circular economy
- Dematerialisation of our societal needs and closing material loops
- Restoration of soil services and soil care
- Addressing European and international challenges related to our policy themes
As a policy regulator, OVAM puts in place a range of economic, regulatory and awareness-raising instruments, always in close cooperation with our partners and stakeholders.
We set long-term strategic goals and develop short-term targets and measures which are more specific and binding, for inclusion in legislation and (policy) action plans.
OVAM thinks and acts ‘glocally’ - using our expertise for supporting cities and municipalities. At the same time, we help to shape new policies at the European and global level.